Wednesday 12 August 2015

The end of the world

So I started walking to the western coast of Spain, to reach what was once considered the westernmost point of the world. The sun dies there. The Milky Way points there. The origin of the Camino. It is a 90 km trek from Santiago de Compostela. The first 20 km must be done in one day: there's no accommodation within that distance. So, after a three day rest in Santiago, I went. That first day did me in. My knees said "We thought you were finished walking! We quit!" So after a horrible day of hills and heat and tears, I said "Enough of this." I got a bed at the hostel, and I extended my stay to three nights instead of one. It was a lovely place, and I was happy to treat it like a retreat.
And then I took the bus out to the village of Fisterra, on Cape Finisterre, and spent two nights there in another lovely albergue. Although most people go to the faro (lighthouse), I visited the beach instead, and it was almost deserted. I waved to many of you from across the Atlantic. It was a beautiful and profound time spent staring at the waves and beachcombing for shells. The absolute perfect way to end my Camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment